meaning of coal mining

Learn What Illegal Mining Operations Are - The Balance

One of the main criteria used to define illegal mining is the absence of land rights, mining license, exploration or mineral transportation permit or of any document that could legitimate the on-going operations. Illegal mining can be operated o n the surface or underground. In most countries, underground mineral resources belong to the state.

History_of_coal_mining : definition of History_of_coal ...

Mining may be undertaken in a number of ways, including: underground mining (also known as bord and pillar mining), auger mining (where coal is extracted using a horizontal drilling technique), strip mining, culm bank (coal refuse pile) mining, and other surface mining.

Coal mining | definition of Coal mining by Medical dictionary

coal face A popular UK term that is the metaphorical equivalent of the "trenches" or "front line". Example "Doctors who work in non-clinical roles often forget the challenges of the coal face".

Glossary of Mining Terminology - Miners Museum

Glossary of Mining Terminology After Damp - Gasses resulting from underground combustion, normally carbon monoxide. This is a loose term implying any fatal gas in a mine …

What does coal mine mean? definition, meaning and ...

Definition of coal mine in the AudioEnglish.org Dictionary. Meaning of coal mine. What does coal mine mean? Proper usage and pronunciation (in phonetic transcription) of the word coal mine. Information about coal mine in the AudioEnglish.org dictionary, synonyms and antonyms.

coal - English-Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com

Coal miners once carried caged canaries with them down into the mines, to give them warning of the deadly methane gas. coal mining n noun : Refers to person, place, thing, quality, etc. (industry: digging for coal)

coal Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

coal definition: 1. a hard, black substance that is dug from the earth in pieces, and can be burned to produce heat or power, or a single piece of this: 2. a hard, black substance that is dug from the earth in lumps and used as a fuel, or a single piece of this substance: . Learn more.

Coal mine | Define Coal mine at Dictionary.com

Coal mine definition, a mine or pit from which coal is obtained. See more.

History of coal mining - Wikipedia

The history of coal mining goes back thousands of years. It became important in the Industrial Revolution of the 19th and 20th centuries, when it was primarily used to power steam engines, heat buildings and generate electricity. Coal mining continues as an important economic activity today.

coal noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage ...

Definition of coal noun in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. Meaning, pronunciation, picture, example sentences, grammar, usage notes, synonyms and more. ... Coal mining is important in the US, with the US producing a large part of the world's coal.

To act like the canary in the coal mine - Idiom ...

Apr 22, 2017· "To act like the canary in the coal mine" is an idiomatic expression referring to the literal sense and situation of the canaries that were used in coald mines. As I understand, canaries were used, in the 19th C and early 20th C, in coal mines, not as pets or to keep company to the miners, but as zoological early-warning systems for toxic gases ...

canary in a coal mine - Wiktionary

Sep 20, 2018· canary in a coal mine (plural canaries in a coal mine or canaries in coal mines) Something whose sensitivity to adverse conditions makes it a useful early indicator of such conditions; something which warns of the coming of greater danger or trouble by …

Coal mining | Britannica.com

Coal mining, extraction of coal deposits from the surface of Earth and from underground. Coal is the most abundant fossil fuel on Earth. Its predominant use has always been for producing heat energy. It was the basic energy source that fueled the Industrial Revolution of the 18th and 19th centuries, ...

Plundering Appalachia - The Tragedy of Mountaintop-Removal ...

Coal mining is far and away the largest industrial consumer of explosives in the United States. According to government figures for 2005, more than 1.8 billion pounds of high explosives were used in West ia and Kentucky alone, primarily in surface-mining operations.

Canary in a coal mine - Idioms by The Free Dictionary

This latest canary in a coal mine should shake us out of our collective apathy. GANGS HAVE OUR LIBRARIES UNDER SIEGE Ice shelves along the coast of Antarctica may play the role of the canary in a coal mine when it comes to global warming.

Mining | Britannica.com

Mining, process of extracting useful minerals from the surface of the Earth, including the seas.A mineral, with a few exceptions, is an inorganic substance occurring in nature that has a definite chemical composition and distinctive physical properties or molecular structure. (One organic substance, coal, is often discussed as a mineral as well.) Ore is a metalliferous mineral, or an aggregate ...

Coal mining - Wikipedia

coal mine - a mine where coal is dug from the ground coalpit colliery, pit - a workplace consisting of a coal mine plus all the buildings and equipment connected with it

What does It Mean to be a "Canary in a Coal Mine"?

Sep 11, 2018· The last canary in a coal mine was retired in the mid-1980s in the United Kingdom, albeit with a Hi-Tech cage where the floor of the cage had several pressure sensors. When the canary became restless this was picked up by the sensors (the …

Coal Mining | Encyclopedia.com

coal mining, physical extraction of coal resources to yield coal; also, the business of exploring for, developing, mining, and transporting coal in any form. Strip mining is the process in which the overburden (earth and rock material overlying the coal) is removed to expose a coal seam or coal bed.

Mining | Define Mining at Dictionary.com

to extract (ore, coal, etc.) from a mine. to avail oneself of or draw useful or valuable material from: to mine every reference book available in writing the term paper. to use, especially a natural resource: to mine the nation's forests.

Glossary of Mining Terms - Coal Education

A. Abutment - In coal mining, (1) the weight of the rocks above a narrow roadway is transferred to the solid coal along the sides, which act as abutments of the arch of strata spanning the roadway; and (2) the weight of the rocks over a longwall face is transferred to the front abutment, that is, the solid coal ahead of the face and the back abutment, that is, the settled packs behind the face.

Coal Seam | Definition of Coal Seam by Merriam-Webster

Coal seam definition is - a bed of coal usually thick enough to be profitably mined. a bed of coal usually thick enough to be profitably mined… See the full definition

Glossary of Mining Terms - rocksandminerals.com

Abutment — In coal mining, (1) the weight of the rocks above a narrow roadway is transferred to the solid coal along the sides, which act as abutments of the arch of strata spanning the roadway; and (2) the weight of the rocks over a longwall face is transferred to the front abutment, that is, the solid coal ahead of the face and the back abutment, that is, the settled packs behind the face.

What is the logic behind the system of 'captive coal ...

Captive coal mining means that the coal mined could be used only in the said industry for which the allocation/auction of the block has been done.It can't be used for any other purposes.Any surplus coal would have to sold to Coal India at the notified price.

mining Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

mining definition: 1. the industry or activity of removing substances such as coal or metal from the ground by digging: 2. the use of special software to try to obtain new cryptocurrency (= digital currency produced by a public network rather than by a government): 3. the industry or activity of…. Learn more.

Coal - definition of coal by The Free Dictionary

coal (kōl) n. 1. a. A natural dark brown to black graphitelike material used as a fuel, formed from fossilized plants and consisting of amorphous carbon with various organic and some inorganic compounds. b. A piece of this substance. 2. A glowing or charred piece of solid fuel. 3. Charcoal. v. coaled, coal·ing, coals v.tr. 1. To burn (a combustible ...

What does coal mining mean? - Definitions.net

Coal mining has had many developments over the recent years, from the early days of men tunneling, digging and manually extracting the coal on carts to large open cut and long wall mines. Mining at this scale requires the use of draglines, trucks, conveyor, jacks and shearers.

Edumine - Professional Development and Training for Mining

Edumine provides online courses, short courses and live webcasts in support of professional development and training for the mining industry.